The government has published some information and advice for voluntary, community and social enterprise organisations during the coronavirus outbreak while the sector plays such a key role in supporting vulnerable people.
It is important for volunteers and people working within the voluntary sector to be aware of the wide range of resources available to protect themselves and those they are helping.
The resources and information include:
Guidance for those working in these sectors
General guidance for the VCSE sector on ensuring business continuity:
- NHS Coronavirus Guidance – Advice for everyone including those at high risk from COVID-19 on staying at home and looking after wellbeing.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) guidance for the charity sector – Guidance from the Charity Commission on how to run your charity in relation to registrations, permissions, reporting and other interactions related to COVID-19.
- Coronavirus Guidance for Community Interest Companies (CICs) – GOV.UK
- Coronavirus: Job Retention Scheme – GOV.UK
- Coronavirus: Funding for the Charity Sector – GOV.UK
- NCVO Coronavirus Guidance – NCVO is the umbrella body for the VCSE sector. This is its guidance and resources to support charities, voluntary organisations and volunteers during the COVID-19 pandemic
- BDO Coronavirus Guidance – BDO is one of the UK’s largest accountancy and business advisory firms. This page brings together information and advice on business continuity and financial support.
- Big Society Capital COVID 19 Information for Social Investors – Big Society Capital is an independent social investment institution. This page provides guidance on effects of COVID-19 pandemic on social investment.
- COVID-19 Guidance for young people, youth workers and youth organisations – The National Youth Agency, The Mix and UK Youth are a cross-section of youth sector organisations. This page signposts relevant advice, guidance, support and tools for youth workers, young people and organisations in response to COVID-19.
Guidance about funding and fundraising
Funding and fundraising advice from the voluntary sector during COVID-19:
- UK Community Foundations – Postcode search to find local Community Foundation, to view funding opportunities during COVID-19.
- The National Lottery Community Fund – List of National Lottery funding opportunities and the changes to their programmes due to COVID-19.
- Charity Finance Group Guidance – CFG provides financial management advice & support to the VCSE sector. This page sets out its COVID-19 guidance to charities.
- Fundraising Regulator Events Guidance – this page sets out the Fundraising Regulator’s advice on fundraising during COVID-19.
The role of volunteers
Public safety and protecting vulnerable people are a top priority of government. Volunteers play a vital role in supporting the most vulnerable in our society and will play a crucial role in the response to coronavirus.
This is especially true in the face of the coronavirus pandemic, where many may find themselves without their usual support networks.
Guidance for how volunteering can be done safely:
- Coronavirus: How to help safely – GOV.UK
- Information Commissioner’s Office Blog: Community groups and COVID-19: what you need to know about data protection – ICO guidance.
- Information Commissioner’s Office Data protection and coronavirus: what you need to know – ICO guidance.
- NCVO Volunteering and coronavirus: How you can help – NCVO is the umbrella body for the VCSE sector. This is its guidance on volunteering during COVID-19.
- NCVO Coronavirus: Involving volunteers – NCVO is the umbrella body for the VCSE sector. This is its guidance for managing volunteers during COVID-19.
- Volunteer – GOV.UK.
- Volunteer placements, rights and expenses – GOV.UK.
This article is for general information purposes only and does not constitute legal or professional advice. Please note that the law may have changed since the date this article was published.